The idea behind this post came from a random night when Maine & I talked about how our lives have been going and how things in general have been so far. (Here’s a fun fact: we’ve been Tumblr friends for… 6 years already?!?! Omg) As both bloggers and creatives, we’ve seen how things have changed over the years (hello, Instagram, social media, etc). People can assume how ~perfect~ an artist / blogger / creative’s life is in this age. It’s funny because we never found ourselves having that idea of perfection (in fact, it is far from perfect). And I think the biggest takeaway we both got from this is that yes, just like you, we’re human beings too. *collective gasp*
You can take this seriously or with a grain of salt. But these are actual problems I’m having and I’m more than grateful for it. These aren’t regular problems, these are #abbeyproblems.
1. When your followers think you’re goals AF but in truth, you’re just normal AF.
(aka your typical 23 year old struggling and trying to survive adulthood in the best way possible)
I have my good days, I also have my bad days, breakdowns – those days. You know. Existential problems and such, on a really, really bad day. And a few pre-quarter life crisis problems I am slowly fixing. *sigh* And it’s totally fine.
2. When your workplace is full of brush pens, markers, and paintbrushes that you can’t find a normal ballpen for a meeting. HAH!
(Not kidding though, this has happened many, many times. So embarrassing.)
3. When you go see your published work at the bookstore and take sneaky pictures even if you’re aware that the guard was totes judging you.
Shameless plug: You can get a copy of my book or postcards at major bookstores nationwide. Or at the online shop :D
4. Getting interviewed for Rookie and getting retweeted by THE Tavi Gevinson. And secretly freaking out.
Check out the full interview here. And nope, it’s not a secret anymore. I freaked out. Haha.
5. When you can’t decide which Sunday Paper and/or Midori notebook to use for your daily tasks, ideas, et cetera – because they are all too pretty and functional.
Currently using the Sunday Paper Any Year Planner & Passport Traveler’s Notebook for my day-to-day activities. I promised a comprehensive post on this soon, keep posted!
6. All the notebooks in the world won’t ever be enough, tbh.
7. Receiving an overwhelming amount of emails in an almost daily basis and calling your manager to calm down. And eventually reporting to your friends and you’re all freaking out.
8. When your books get sold out at a calligraphy event and you don’t know what to feel. Smile? Wave? Freak out internally.
Thank you to everyone who got their copies at Love, Calligraphy! :)
9. When you need friends to persuade you to watch films because you have no time to look for nice titles. And then you eventually get dragged to join their 100 Movies a Year project.
No turning back, yo! Shoutout to Maine’s 100 Movies a Year project. And to Koko who gave me a bunch of classic films to watch as well.
10. You haven’t seen any other T.V. series aside from One Tree Hill and you haven’t listened to any other T.V. series soundtracks other than One Tree Hill’s.
True story because: Lucas + Peyton is my OTP (I love Peyton. She inspired me to do art) and having Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Tyler Hilton, Dashboard Confessional, and many more for a series soundtrack is A+, really.
11. When you obsess over having too much flat lay posts on Instagram!
(but it’s mandatory most of the time #werq)
12. You spend your weekend thinking about work, work, work (because weekends & holidays don’t exist in your calendar).
V tired. Can I hibernate for a week?
13. You have to educate your friends about the miracle that is tikoy lumpia –
14. because you’re the only Chinese person you know in your circle of creative friends.
True story. Ni hao!
15. WHEN YOU’RE AT THE SAME DINNER WITH YOUR CRUSH AND YOU DON’T EVEN GET TALK TO HIM BECAUSE YOU’RE TOO BOY-SHY.
And you even managed to tinker with your phone in front of him. All caps because I totes screwed it – I have serious introvert problems.
16. When you try to discreetly tell people “ABC” is Abbey Sy but they still don’t get it…
“You’re Abbey Sy…as in ABC…cool!”
Me: *nods* *smiles awkwardly*
17. You get hand cramps from painting / drawing too much.
UGH. MUCH PAINNNNN.
18. When you have too many talented photographer friends that you can’t even pick a profile picture to use.
19. When you have too many mentors that you end up staying up super late at night thinking about goals and more things you’d like to pursue.
You can’t sleep, and your mentors always tell you, “please sleep early and take care of yourself” but you can’t. It’s all good, but it’s crazy.
20. When you have so many project ideas that you keep on piling on your to-do list but you know it’ll be worth it in the end because it makes people (and yourself!) happy at the end of the day.
Me, 24/7, basically.
Whether this post made you laugh or *insert feelings here*, have a good evening.
But tbh, I tried to be witty. Emphasis on try. Lol. Thanks Maine for co-writing this!
Do you have any of your ~problems~? Let me know in the comments below. :D