As an artist and lover of all things creative, books have always played a role in my inspiration-seeking process. Apart from that though, I always find myself engrossed in bookstores here and abroad for a number of reasons:
- I’m searching for the next great title (especially in the Art department or the Bestsellers shelf);
- I’m looking for a new possible area that will spark my interest (that’s what transpired when I first saw a lettering book in Hong Kong two years ago);
- I’m also checking out some of the beautifully illustrated book covers because #lifegoals is to design a book cover someday.
So it’s definitely no secret that I love books (I have around 20 here that still NEED to be read) and bookstores in general. With that, here’s a quick rundown of some of my recent book purchases / acquisitions – mostly from my trips, and some here in Manila.
Art + Type
- In Progress by Jessica Hische – because, Jessica Hische (is goals). And true enough, her book is a reflection of who she is and what she does (which is exceptionally good).
- Urban Sketching Handbook: People & Motion produced by Basheer Graphic Books – I saw this hidden in a National Bookstore shelf and I knew I had to pull it out for purchase. I don’t draw humans as much as I draw architectural sites for urban sketching so this is a reminder that I should try it out, too.
- Tokyo On Foot is literally #lifegoals and #illustrationgoals. Got this from Kinokuniya during my Japan trip last May.
Self Help + Productivity
- Creative Confidence – I have yet to read this, but I’ve seen it almost everywhere in Japan & Singapore so I told myself to get a copy as well.
- Heart, Smarts, Guts, Luck – got this at half off, thanks to National Bookstore’s Warehouse Sale, yay! Dissecting it bit by bit and it’s an interesting read so far.
- 99u: Make Your Mark – halfway through since I’m reading the second one now (Maximize Your Potential). Nifty advice on creativity, productivity and turning ideas into reality. Also, a great compact book to take along with you every day. (99u also has online articles and videos which are pretty awesome – hope I can join the conference in NYC *soon*)
On the desk this week
- The Wes Anderson Collection (borrowed from Koko), aka inspiration for my upcoming project this quarter (which I am very excited to work on!)
- Fortune Favors The Brave by Lisa Congdon (an early Christmas gift from my publisher – thank you Koko!) features hand lettered inspirational quotes on bravery, courage & being fearless. Super duper love the artwork inside as it’s very simple yet uplifting.
- Also, currently killing time coloring in pages from Hue Can Do It!, published by Summit Books (now available at major bookstores nationwide for P295). This page features the work of Jaykee (art director of my book), which makes you want to excessively crave for Japanese food.
Well, another thing that’s always on my desk is of course, my book, The ABCs of Hand Lettering (more about it here). It will and always be a constant reminder of hard work, dedication, and as cheesy as it sounds, dreams coming true. :)
See you at MIBF 2015!
Below is the lineup for Summit Books this weekend. :)
I’ll be having a book signing at the Manila International Book Fair this coming Saturday, September 19, from 4-6:30PM at the Summit Books booth in SMX Convention Center. Copies will be available at the venue or you may bring your own books and have them signed. Hope to see you! :)
* * *